24 Jan 5 Tips for Boosting Your Birth & Postpartum Confidence
One of the most important aspects to note about birth specifically, and life in general, is that the mind & body connection is SO REAL. By boosting our confidence and positive messaging, we can help reduce our fears surrounding birth and new parenthood- and that in turn will lead to a more comfortable experience.
Here are 5 tips for building that confidence-
- Incorporate Affirmations Into Your Day-to-Day Life– Affirmations are positive statements that build our confidence by acting on a sub-conscious level to increase positivity and reduce fears. Do a quick search online and you’ll find plenty of lists to choose from. For starters, check out the book, Hypnobirthing, The Mongan Method. It has a list of affirmations to read through in the end of the book.
- Write Down Your 3-5 Favorite Affirmations on Post-It notes or pretty stationary and post them throughout your home in areas where you will see them often the day. You can hang them on your bathroom mirror or post them in your kitchen above the sink. Be intentional when you write down your affirmations, and spend a few minutes mindfully scripting them out. You will find a wealth of birth affirmations online. Search and choose your favorites or use them to inspire your own affirmations.
- Find a Childbirth or Postpartum Affirmations Audio Track and spend 15-30 minutes a day listening to it while you drive, clean or fold your laundry. This daily practice will work on a subtle level to help change your outlook on birth and reduce your fears of the moment. You will find so many online resources for these birth and postpartum affirmations including:
- The GentleBirth app– downloadable for a monthly fee (about $7/monthly)- includes affirmations for birth and new parenthood, mindfulness and relaxation tracks
- The Insight Timer app is a free mindfulness app that includes a childbirth affirmations track
- Hypnobabies is a comprehensive childbirth and hypnosis program that includes affirmations as one of the it’s daily tracks for expecting parents to listen to (includes a detailed self-study program)
- Hypnobirthing is another comprehensive childbirth program with daily affirmations. Both of these programs require a 5-6 week in person class and provide valuable life skills in addition to their childbirth application (Hypnobabies and Hypnobirthing).
- BEST Doula Training offers an audio relaxation and affirmations bundle for a low price (around $10).
- Keep Away the Negative Talk– Choose a provider who will be supportive and view birth in a positive light and keep away from prenatal providers (OBs, midwives, etc) who project negative fears upon you (it’s never too late to switch providers!). In the same vein, let your friends and family know that you are NOT interested in listening to their birth stories if they are using it to scare you or if it was a negative experience for them. No one needs to hear that negativity.
- Surround Yourself with Positivity– Find podcasts, books and blogs that share positive birth stories and listen to the stories of women who can still tell you such specific details about their births even decades later. Let people share what worked for them- in birth, in parenting- but in the end of the day, Trust Yourself and know that you know your body and your baby best. Some blogs/podcasts you may love include-
- The Birth Hour
- Birth Without Fear
What are some of your favorite ways to build your confidence for a big life event?