How to Remove Your Fears of Birth and Boost Your Confidence!
One of the most important aspects to note about birth specifically, and life in general, is that the mind & body connection is SO REAL. By boosting our confidence, we can help remove fears surrounding birth and new motherhood- and that in turn will lead to a more positive experience.
Here are our 5 top tips to remove birth & new motherhood fears and boost your confidence!
Incorporate Affirmations Into Your Day-to-Day Life
Affirmations are positive statements that build our confidence by acting on a subconscious level to increase positivity and remove fears. Do a quick search online and you’ll find plenty of birth affirmation lists to choose from. One type of birth preparation program that really focuses on this aspect of fear removal is the GentleBirth program and any type of hypno-birth program (including Hypnobabies). This was one of the top reasons I was attracted to and chose to become a Hypno-Doula and GentleBirth instructor.
Write Down 3-5 Favorite Affirmations…
On Post-It notes or pretty stationary and post them throughout your home in areas where you will see them throughout your day. You can hang them on your bathroom mirror or post them in your kitchen above the sink. Be intentional when you write down your affirmations, and spend a few minutes mindfully scripting them out. You will find a wealth of birth and new mother affirmations online. Search and choose your favorites or use them to inspire your own affirmations.
Find an Online Childbirth or Postpartum Affirmations Audio Track
And spend 15-30 minutes a day listening to it while you drive, clean, nurse baby or fold your laundry. Take 3 deep breaths with slow exhales during this intentional activity. This daily practice will work on a subtle level to help change your outlook on birth and new motherhood and reduce your fears of the moment. You will find so many online resources for these birth and postpartum affirmations including:
- The GentleBirth app– downloadable for a monthly fee (about $12/monthly)- includes affirmations for birth and new parenthood, mindfulness and relaxation tracks
- The Insight Timer app is a free mindfulness app that includes a childbirth affirmations track
- Hypnobabies is a comprehensive childbirth and hypnosis program that includes affirmations as one of the it’s daily tracks for expecting parents to listen to (includes a detailed self-study program)
- Hypnobirthing is another comprehensive childbirth program with daily affirmations. Both of these programs require a 5-6 week in person class and provide valuable life skills in addition to their childbirth application (Hypnobabies and Hypnobirthing).
- BEST Doula Training offers an audio relaxation and affirmations bundle for a low price (around $10).
Keep Away the Negative Talk
Choose a provider who will be supportive and view birth in a positive light and stay AWAY from prenatal providers (OBs, midwives, etc) who project negative fears upon you (it’s never too late to switch providers!). In the same vein, let your friends and family know that you are NOT interested in listening to birth stories if they are using it to scare you or if it was a negative experience for them. This is not the time to take in negativity!
Surround Yourself with Positivity
Find podcasts, books and blogs that share positive birth stories and listen to the stories of women who can tell you such detailed points about their births even decades later. Let people share what worked for them- in birth, in parenting- but in the end of the day, Trust Yourself and know that you know your body and your baby best. Some blogs/podcasts you may love include-
- The Birth Hour
- Birth Without Fear
- Birth Stories in Color
What are some of your favorite ways to reduce your fears and build your confidence for a big life event?